The Time Meddler
|Story Code: S / Season 2||UK Airdate: 3 Jul to 24 Jul 1965|
|Doctor: William Hartnell||Previous Story / Next Story|
This story aired in the following countries. They are listed in chronological order according to known airdate. If no month is noted, the actual airdate is not confirmed, and is a close approximate. (Refer also to Selling Doctor Who for expanded airdates.)
|New Zealand||Nov 68||b/w|
|Sierra Leone||Nov 68||b/w|
|Nigeria (again)||Jun 73?||b/w|
- Unlike all the previous serials, this was not sold to Ethiopia.
- Like The Web Planet, this serial was sold 'twice' to Nigeria, but to different broadcasters.
- New Zealand sent its prints of the serial to Nigeria on 2 March 1973. The prints had been cut by the NZ censors.
- By 1974, the BBC was still offering this serial in a package of Hartnell stories that included The Space Museum and Galaxy 4.
- The ABC in Australia returned its prints to the BBC on 4 June 1975.
- A film collector acquired prints of episodes 1, 2 and 3 sometime in the mid-1970s. These may have been the ones returned by Australia or earlier from Mauritius, Sierra Leone or Zambia. These prints were returned to the BBC but not until the early 1990s.
- The BBC still had copies of all four episodes by the end of 1976 (possibly the ones returned from Australia, Mauritius, Sierra Leone or Zambia?), but by late 1977 they had junked all bar episode 2, unless that print of episode 2 was another one that had been subsequently returned to the BBC?
- The ex-NZ prints were recovered from Nigeria in the mid-1980s. It was found that the opening five minutes set in the TARDIS was missing from part one. It is unlikely that this cut was made in New Zealand, in which case the cut was made in Nigeria. An alternative thought is that the BBC supplied Nigeria with a different copy of part one (perhaps as part of the initial sales "audition" process?); like the edits made to part two of Inside the Spaceship and to parts one and six of The Web Planet, this edit may have been made by the BBC to reflect that the preceding and/or following story, in this case The Chase, was not part of the package.
- NOTE: By this tally, that's three copies of part 2 that are accounted for.
- See Hartnell Junkings
- The newly-recovered serial was quickly released for sale to:
|United States||from Sep 85||b/w|
US TV Guide descriptions
Title: The Time Meddler
- Episode 1: On the English coast in the year 1066, the Doctor meets another time traveler determined to change the course of history.
- Episode 2:
- Episode 3:
- Episode 4:
- Compilation: On the coast of England in the year 1066, the Doctor and his crew meet up with another time-traveler—who's determined to change the course of history.