|← AIRDATES ...... (CLICK ICON TO GO TO TABLE SHOWING EPISODE BREAKDOWN AND AIRDATES)|
Channel 17 (Independent)
- 21 August 1972: Doctor Who made its television DEBUT in the United States on 21 August 1972 on this independent channel in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- This was only two months after the completion of season nine in the UK (with part six of The Time Monster on 24 June 1972).
- WPHL did not purchase the full package, instead only taking the first nine stories (50 episodes), up to and including Day of the Daleks. (Time Life's initial package offer was of the first 50 episodes only -- see United States--1972. The other stations to buy the series bought the full 72 episode package; WPHL was the only station that did not.)
- 30 October 1972: The first run of the 50 episodes concludes.
- 31 October 1972 - 26 May 1973: The series is repeated.
- BBC paperwork indicates that WPHL bought four screening rights to the series, although it appears that it only used two of these. (It may have on-sold the unused rights to another station.)